Friday, July 15, 2011

I need help with my child's feelings after a serious car accident!?

My two step children, my two children and myself were in a serious car accident 3 nights ago. Ages are 12 and 11 and 6 and 3. All kids were taken by ambulance to the ER and after being evaluated everyone but my 6 yr old was released. My 6 yr old had a large laceration, fractured skull, bruising on her brain, and a small brain bleed. She was care flighted from the local ER to a better hospital. Spend 18 hrs in ICU and 18 hrs on the neurology floor then release to come home. She needs 24/7 supervision and it will take weeks for her to fully recover. She isn't acting herself at all. Kind of emotionless except for unexpected bursts of crying and she sleeps 75% of the day. My 11 yr old step daughter had no injuries at all. She is extremely jealous of the attention my 6 yr old is getting. She says she wishes it was her instead (not to take the pain away from my daughter but so that we would all fuss over her instead). I've done everything to keep her from feeling this way. We tell her how much we love her and we're so glad she's ok. Her feelings are very selfish and I don't know how else to handle this. Does she need to see a counselor? It's upsetting because we do love her and she knows that. I'm lost because I don't know how to stop these feelings. I even suggested that she start her summer visitation with her mom earlier so she isn't around to see all the fuss over my 6 yr old. But suggesting this made it worse. Where do I go from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment